AGF Search AGF Chat AGF Uploader AGF Gallery AGFonline Forums AGFonline AGFonline Today's Posts on AGF
Not logged in [Login ]

Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favorites  
 Pages:  1  2
Author: Subject: Rondo Teles, have questions.
Benny

posted on 2-11-2010 at 08:52 PM
Rondo Teles, have questions.

I've been gassing for a tele pretty hard. I'm wanting an HH, I am not a single coil guy.

I just browsed rondo and only found one HH tele, the weed one. Well... I don't really care for the gold hardware, nor the weed inlays, even less the giant weed leaf on the body.

All you SXers with a tele, have you checked under the guard if there is space for a humbucker? I am sure I would have to do routing at the bridge though. :( No good for me.

Are there any reasonably (low) priced HH teles on the market?

:x:

Grizlybayr

Mood: Fretting

posted on 2-11-2010 at 08:55 PM

I've had both the STL-50 and the Nashville (3 p/u) version of same. If my fuzzy memory serves me right, neither were routed for a humbucker. :dunno:

Original Purveyor of
Country-Western-Science-Fiction-Bubble-Gum-Reggae-Bluegrass Music

Founder & President of The Official Curly Malapoka Fan Club

Agile AL2500 CSB 12 string | SX STL-50 Nashville Tele | SX Country 6-string banjo | Fender FM-52E Mandolin
'79 Ovation Balladeer 12-string | Taylor 110 acoustic | Fender MIM Strat 'Parts-Caster'
Ibanez Artcore AF86 VLS | Ibanez EW-ASNT acoustic | Ibanez Jet King JTK-1
'81 Alvarez-Yairi DY-52 Silver Lark| '70 Wilson (S. Yairi) Classical | '69 Teisco Tele-Star strat
Fender Super Champ XD w/ Eminence 1058 Legend | Fender Acoustasonic Jr. (pre DSP)
Crate GX-80 | Roland Micro Cube | Peavey Micro-Bass | Tosh PA4160 | Peavey 115TLMs
Eurorack MX602A | Boss AD-8 | Boss OS-2 | TC Helicon Voice Create | Danelectro Cool-Cat
and way too much other stuff...

Good Dealings with: Azimuth, Perfect Stranger, TWANG, Chapstick_Addiction, Guitarmaster79
Benny

posted on 2-11-2010 at 08:58 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Grizlybayr
I've had both the STL-50 and the Nashville (3 p/u) version of same. If my fuzzy memory serves me right, neither were routed for a humbucker. :dunno:

:( Aw. Thats what I was thinking, but one can dream.
ziggle

Mood: Ball & biscuit

posted on 2-11-2010 at 09:19 PM

Sorry, Man. All the SX are either S/P90, SSS, or SS.

However, this is a decent little git similar in many ways to a '72 Deluxe:

Squier Custom

I've been really seriously considering picking this up. Too many good reviews, and while I WANT a HH Tele, preferably a '72 Deluxe, this just seems like too good of a deal...

???

Excellent transactions with: DerDrache, backinit, Twang, dafulla, Blueshawk1, ToneBender, Perfect_Stranger, jhop10, RocketJuice, Tritone

"Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day. Teach a man how to fish and he will sit in boat and drink beer for a lifetime." --unknown

Fender Jaguar CP HH | PRS SE Custom semi-hollow P90 | Agile AL-3000 w/SH-4 & SH2 | G&L Legacy Tribute | Epiphone '66 RI SG G400 w/Bigsby B5/SH6-n/b | '94 MIM Fender Strat | Squier Jagmaster | Squier Classic Vibe 50's Strat | Agile TC-630 | SX SST LTD2 | Squier Bullet | SX Furrian P90 | Squier Deluxe (under reconstruction) | Bitmo Trio equipped Epi Valve Jr. 1/2 stack | Vox VT50 | Vox AC30VT | Vox Tonelab ST | Line6 Pocket Pod | Pignose Legendary 7-100 | Other assorted geetars and geetar accessories
keytarded007

Mood: boss

posted on 2-11-2010 at 09:23 PM

those squire customs are pretty boss, ive been gassing for one for a long time lol

member of the None More Black Owners Foundation

Good deals with: Cormega, PsychoweaselJW,tbe275 ,TWANG, adad
yeah bethoven was cool, but if he had a les paul

Gear:
1971 aria lp squier2 relicd strat
epiphone sg special squier strat w floyd
Kaman GTX33 saga tele by TWANG
sx liquid 3ts
sx sjm pb stop tail
Benny

posted on 2-11-2010 at 09:29 PM

Hm. Maybe I'll throw Kurt an e-mail regarding HH teles and see if he plans on any for the future

That '72 deluxe is interesting. It's got all that I want and has a maple neck/fretboard which is a huge plus. You should get one and let me know how it is. :naughty:

Only other HH teles I am looking at are the John 5 shown here, and the Fender Custom shown here and also the blacktop teles.

Thanks for a candidate!
erictheviking

Mood: blah

posted on 2-11-2010 at 09:42 PM

Cut for a bucker in the neck only, I have one on my vintage white one.

Fender Stratocaster Elite Righty Flipped (Fender active pups stock)
ESP 5 String Jazz Bass Righty Flipped (EMG's stock)
Squier P-Bass Special Lefty (American P-bass neck pup and Geddy Lee jazz pup in the bridge)
AL 2000 Gold Top P-90 Lefty (stock)
SX SJB 57 Lefty (stock pups with treble bleed, tort guard from TWANG and Fender style JB knobs)
SX STL50 Lefty (B-Stock Gibson Burstbucker Pro in the neck and TWANG guard)
SX SST 57 Lefty (GFS lil killer's and wired up like a Corgan Strat by TWANG with guard)
Telebastard Lefty (didn't get it off Rondo but pretty sure it's an STL body and bridge, with Artec Hot rails and neck pup)
Gibson Faded SG Lefty (with EMG's 81/85)
Counterfeit Commie LP JR (with TWANG made harness and Agile AD-201 bridge pup)
Kit SG Lefty (with GFS Crunchy Zebra's)-Some folks have taken a liking to it so it's available.
Marshall Lead 20 Combo
Fender Frontman 25R
Good deal with: ScreamingYellowZonkers/Gear_Junky/ TWANG/tbe275/bluesking55/PsychoweaselJW/cardkid2331/perfectstranger/kdawg
/Rick In Pa./ harpmaster /guitarmaster79
rrobbone
Super Freak

Mood: Acidic.

posted on 2-11-2010 at 11:09 PM

http://i54.tinypic.com/19mptg.jpg

STL, pre sanding.

HTH.

BTW, there are bucker rout templates on TDPRI, should you want to get the STL (sorry, furrian).
Benny

posted on 3-11-2010 at 12:56 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by rrobbone
http://i54.tinypic.com/19mptg.jpg

STL, pre sanding.

HTH.

BTW, there are bucker rout templates on TDPRI, should you want to get the STL (sorry, furrian).

I would love to mod an STL, or furrian, into some awesome hell-spawn telecaster. I'll have to go for a treasure hunt into my dad's basement looking for a router before committing to that though.

What is TDPRI by the way? Is that a forum?

Thanks guys! :bigthumb:
rrobbone
Super Freak

Mood: Acidic.

posted on 3-11-2010 at 01:11 AM

TDPRI.com is a giant Tele forum. I usually am lurking in the DIY forums soaking up as much knowledge as I can. If you have any interest in modding, they'll have you ready and wanting to scratch build your own guitar before long.

The sister Strat forum is pretty good too.

I'm wanting to mod the crap out of my P90 Furrian and turn it into a monster, but I'm gonna refinish it first.

Geoffrey Charles
Crazy AGFer

posted on 3-11-2010 at 02:59 AM

So you do not want to use single coil size buckers? That's always an option.

Tritone
AGF Contributor

posted on 3-11-2010 at 06:14 AM

The Jay Turser JT-LT Custom Deluxe has a humbucker route in the neck. Plus it's sexiful and not too expensive (<$200).

http://www.muscleheadmusic.com/invphotos/TurserTeleDlxTobSun1.jpg

Guitars: Custom Eric Johnson Strat, Agile TC-630 RN 2TS Ibanez RG350MYE, Jackson DK2, Squier Bullet, couple of more...

Good deals with:
B.Flash, Roscoe, Mickey, movedbeatle, Tsukiyomi, t-glo, Scuzzo, helsinkirocks, harpmaster (x2), diffra, GibsonWho?, guitarmaster79, tkozuch, ziggle, deadrat117

Acts of kindness: tbe275, bassbubble, BigPigDave
Mr. Chow

posted on 3-11-2010 at 06:20 AM

I'll give a huge +1 on the Squier tele custom. I have the p-90 version and it's my #1. Or, you could wait til Kurt pulls out the Furrian HH that was up for like a week, again. They were very popular but he only had 10. I'm pretty sure those will be back.

Good dealings with : Jeego, Perfect Stranger, NCGeek, SkaJon, Daneman, frankenfretter, Sinster, Bluesking55
strumbum
Super Freak

Mood: Picky

posted on 3-11-2010 at 09:48 AM

Turning a standard SX tele into a 2-humbucker guitar is NOT that big of a deal, IF you have a Dremel tool or something similar, and are into spending the extra money for parts.

LOTS of sites sells aftermarket humbucker bridges at fairly cheap prices, and humbucker "neck" pickguards are available as well.

Believe me when I tell ya that removing wood from the pup cavity is NOT a problem with a Dremel tool and a sanding drum. Alder wood melts away like butter.

One of the main things to consider is, that (will) the aftermarket bridge mounting holes line up with the existing SX bridge holes. That's one thing I'm not sure about, however, if the new bridge covers the existing holes, redrilling for new holes shouldn't be an issue. Another thing to consider is after you've put on the new bridge, how/if it changes the intonation....

"Founding Member of the Agile Guitar Owners Guild"

bassbubble
AGF Contributor

Mood: STRESSED!

posted on 3-11-2010 at 10:18 AM

What about a Blacktop Telecaster?

bassbubble has attached this image:
0148200506_md.jpg - 39.11kb

ELECTRICS:============================================================
AL-2000 GT / SX SJM-62 PBU ST / Douglas SH-90NA / Squier Standard Tele / Squier Bullet Strat / Gibson LP Standard /
Squier (MIJ) HSS Strat / First Act ME-501 / Douglas WT-445 BK / Squier Jagmaster / Epiphone Wilshire / Epiphone G400 SG /

BASSES:============================================================
Fender Special P-Bass / Fender Standard Jazz Bass / Schecter Model-T / Brice AL SS Bass CSB B Stock / SX Ursa 4 RN B Stock /
SX SJB-62C Jazz Bass / Squire Vintage Modified Fretless J-Bass / Epiphone Ripper / Rogue Violin Bass / Douglas WEB 825 5 string /

ACOUSTICS:============================================================
SX Mentor NA / Yamaha FG** Series / Martin D12X1 (12 String) / Franciscan / Dean EAB Bass /
SX 6-String Banjo / Fender Mandolin /

AMPS:============================================================
Peavy Classic 50/212 / Epiphone Valve Jr Combo / Fender Champion 600 / Ashdown Electric Blue 15-180 Bass Combo /
Hartke 3500 Head w/ 115TP & 210TP Cabs /

=====================================================================
Great deals with:============================================================
Rick In Pa. / Flatline / Benny / Perfect Stranger / TWANG / blueshawk1 / cheeseflavor / keeffan / tbe275 / Wylde /
DerDrache

Mood: Coffee is a mood, right?

posted on 3-11-2010 at 10:28 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by ziggle
Squier Custom

I've been really seriously considering picking this up. Too many good reviews, and while I WANT a HH Tele, preferably a '72 Deluxe, this just seems like too good of a deal...

???

Dude, these are awesome guitars. I had one. I'd still have it but I had to sell it to get the scratch to buy my MIM Tele. It's the one that started my love affair with Teles. If I saw a good deal on one around, I'd probably snag it up again.

The Blacktop Tele may be worth looking into too if you don't mind spending the extra dough.

Great transactions with ScreamingYellowZonkers, SkaJon, theylive716, jakkim, guitaress, brgminicooper, hot4sheep, ziggle and Perfect Stranger!

========= Click any name to see it! ========
Agile AL-3000 Tobacco Burst | Agile AL-3000 Goldtop w/P90s | Agile AL-2000 Tobacco w/GFS Alnico IIs | Fender Blacktop Jazzmaster | PRS Singlecut SE | Fender 48th Street Strat (HSS) | Fender Standard Tele | Squier Classic Vibe 60s Strat | Squier Classic Vibe 50s Strat | Classic Vibe Thinline Tele | Squier 51

Amps:
Mesa Boogie 5:50 | Fender Deluxe 112 Plus
===================================
erictheviking

posted on 3-11-2010 at 11:30 AM

Quote:
Posted By: Geoffrey Charles
So you do not want to use single coil size buckers? That's always an option

I did that with my other STL, it works fine but I always wonder how different it would sound with a full size bucker in the bridge.

Squier P-Bass Special Lefty (American P-bass neck pup and Geddy Lee jazz pup in the bridge)
SX SJB 57 Lefty (stock pups with treble bleed, tort guard from TWANG and Fender style JB knobs)
SX SST 57 Lefty (GFS lil killer's and wired up like a Corgan Strat by TWANG with guard)
Telebastard Lefty (didn't get it off Rondo but pretty sure it's an STL body and bridge, with Artec Hot rails and neck pup)
Kit SG Lefty (with GFS Crunchy Zebra's)-Some folks have taken a liking to it so it's available.
Marshall Lead 20 Combo
Fender Frontman 25R
Good deal with: ScreamingYellowZonkers/Gear_Junky/ TWANG/tbe275/bluesking55/PsychoweaselJW/cardkid2331/perfectstranger/kdawg
thetrend77
AGF Contributor

posted on 3-11-2010 at 11:34 AM

+1 on the Squier Custom. I have one and I love it! It weighs a TON though lol
View user's profile View All Posts By User U2U Member This user has MSN Messenger
Poodlesrule

posted on 3-11-2010 at 12:43 PM

Just curious, is it just:
Custom = HBs
Custom II = P90s

..or are there other difference beyond PUs?

Benny

posted on 3-11-2010 at 07:53 PM

rrobbone- Will check that out!

Geoffrey- I've never played a single sized humbucker. I guess they are an option, but I would prefer humbucker size for ease of using a pickup I like if the stock ones blow.

Tritone- I can not do gold hardware, so I would actually need to change it all.

Mr.Chow- Was there a non trem model of that? Looks similar to the '72 deluxe.

Strumbum- I would actually prefer to go that route with a tele for the experience, I wouldn't have a problem with parts prices. My only problem would be getting/finding a router. So far this seems like what I am going to do!

bassbubble- I saw them, and they seem nice. I need to play some guitars I guess. Everything I have now has a 12" radius, is there a noticeable difference? :dunno:

erictheviking- How do single sized humbuckers compare to a full sized bucker? Anyone else can voice their opinion as well, the more the merrier.

Thanks guys! Off I go for some research!
DerDrache

Mood: Coffee is a mood, right?

posted on 3-11-2010 at 08:01 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Poodlesrule
Just curious, is it just:
Custom = HBs
Custom II = P90s

..or are there other difference beyond PUs?

Nope. As far as I can tell, completely identical aside from electronics. Just checked the website and it looks like the Custom II is available in blonde or black. The Custom is black only. It's a dead sexy black too.

Great transactions with ScreamingYellowZonkers, SkaJon, theylive716, jakkim, guitaress, brgminicooper, hot4sheep, ziggle and Perfect Stranger!

========= Click any name to see it! ========
Agile AL-3000 Tobacco Burst | Agile AL-3000 Goldtop w/P90s | Agile AL-2000 Tobacco w/GFS Alnico IIs | Fender Blacktop Jazzmaster | PRS Singlecut SE | Fender 48th Street Strat (HSS) | Fender Standard Tele | Squier Classic Vibe 60s Strat | Squier Classic Vibe 50s Strat | Classic Vibe Thinline Tele | Squier 51

Amps:
Mesa Boogie 5:50 | Fender Deluxe 112 Plus
===================================
ziggle

Mood: Ball & biscuit

posted on 3-11-2010 at 08:23 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by DerDrache
It's a dead sexy black too.

Seriously! It's sharp. Man, so want that axe...but am wrestling with the next, and hopefully last, purchase for a long while. This is back in the running, along with the Fender '72 Deluxe, and MAYBE an SG Standard.

Just wish the Custom had a sunburst! ;) I'm not sure I want to go through that hassle at the moment.

Excellent transactions with: DerDrache, backinit, Twang, dafulla, Blueshawk1, ToneBender, Perfect_Stranger, jhop10, RocketJuice, Tritone

"Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day. Teach a man how to fish and he will sit in boat and drink beer for a lifetime." --unknown

Fender Jaguar CP HH | PRS SE Custom semi-hollow P90 | Agile AL-3000 w/SH-4 & SH2 | G&L Legacy Tribute | Epiphone '66 RI SG G400 w/Bigsby B5/SH6-n/b | '94 MIM Fender Strat | Squier Jagmaster | Squier Classic Vibe 50's Strat | Agile TC-630 | SX SST LTD2 | Squier Bullet | SX Furrian P90 | Squier Deluxe (under reconstruction) | Bitmo Trio equipped Epi Valve Jr. 1/2 stack | Vox VT50 | Vox AC30VT | Vox Tonelab ST | Line6 Pocket Pod | Pignose Legendary 7-100 | Other assorted geetars and geetar accessories
erictheviking

posted on 3-11-2010 at 08:31 PM

That's a good question Benny. To me it seems that the full size buckers have a more fuller sound that the single sized (hot rails) style bucker. Don't get me wrong, I like the sound I'm getting out of them, but alot of them are wound hot, think 10K or more and they sound like a loud single coil with out the hum (obviously), just the full sized buckers seem to have a little more warmth. I'm only going by my experience with what I have (Artec & GFS), so can't comment on what let's say they compare to the Seymour Duncan's that they are obviously copies of. I've seen a few member's tele's here with hot rails in both positions so they might be another resource of info on single coil sized buckers on tele guitars.

Marshall Lead 20 Combo
Fender Frontman 25R
keytarded007

Mood: boss

posted on 3-11-2010 at 08:33 PM

i got a set of the cool vintage lil punchers for my tele and i love them, they also do good with coil splits to so you can always get the single coil and bucker tone from them

edit= these right here
http://www.guitarfetish.com/Calibrated-Pickup-Set-Cool-Vintage-Lil-Puncher-fi...

[Edited on 4-11-2010 by keytarded007]

member of the None More Black Owners Foundation

Good deals with: Cormega, PsychoweaselJW,tbe275 ,TWANG, adad
yeah bethoven was cool, but if he had a les paul

Gear:
1971 aria lp squier2 relicd strat
epiphone sg special squier strat w floyd
Kaman GTX33 saga tele by TWANG
sx liquid 3ts
sx sjm pb stop tail
bassbubble
AGF Contributor

Mood: STRESSED!

posted on 3-11-2010 at 08:44 PM

You mentioned 12" radius is what you are used to. The fenders are 9.5".
I prefer the rounder fender radius over the flatter ones. I does make a
difference. I am a chord player not a note player. When I do play lead
or riff style stuff I like the flatter radius of the LP type necks. When it
comes to chords it's all about the fender necks for me.

So to answer your question.........Yes, there is a noticeable difference. To me anyway.

ELECTRICS:============================================================
AL-2000 GT / SX SJM-62 PBU ST / Douglas SH-90NA / Squier Standard Tele / Squier Bullet Strat / Gibson LP Standard /
Squier (MIJ) HSS Strat / First Act ME-501 / Douglas WT-445 BK / Squier Jagmaster / Epiphone Wilshire / Epiphone G400 SG /

BASSES:============================================================
Fender Special P-Bass / Fender Standard Jazz Bass / Schecter Model-T / Brice AL SS Bass CSB B Stock / SX Ursa 4 RN B Stock /
SX SJB-62C Jazz Bass / Squire Vintage Modified Fretless J-Bass / Epiphone Ripper / Rogue Violin Bass / Douglas WEB 825 5 string /

ACOUSTICS:============================================================
SX Mentor NA / Yamaha FG** Series / Martin D12X1 (12 String) / Franciscan / Dean EAB Bass /
SX 6-String Banjo / Fender Mandolin /

AMPS:============================================================
Peavy Classic 50/212 / Epiphone Valve Jr Combo / Fender Champion 600 / Ashdown Electric Blue 15-180 Bass Combo /
Hartke 3500 Head w/ 115TP & 210TP Cabs /

=====================================================================
Great deals with:============================================================
Rick In Pa. / Flatline / Benny / Perfect Stranger / TWANG / blueshawk1 / cheeseflavor / keeffan / tbe275 / Wylde /

Pages:  1  2
  Go To Top

Agile Guitar Forum © 2008
Terms Of Service