AGF Search AGF Chat AGF Uploader AGF Gallery AGFonline Forums AGFonline AGFonline Today's Posts on AGF
Not logged in [Login ]

Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favorites  
Author: Subject: SX EG6 Cus Bk First Impression
tonebender
Posting Freak

Mood: Groovy

posted on 1-7-2010 at 07:35 AM
SX EG6 Cus Bk First Impression

Received the new SX EG6 Cus Bk yesterday and only got a few minutes with it before I had to take off on another adventure. I adjusted pup height, string height and just did a quick check of the intonation for the G string only (very close to intonated). I'll get pics tonight at the gig and get them up. First impression: It's worth the price tag but unlike my other SX or Agiles that's as far as I will go at the moment. The finish has a few flaws, the binding has a few flaws but I still like the look and I got it to turn into a player that I don't have to worry about. I intend on changing the pups and once I do that and I fully set up to my taste I think it will serve me well. And if it gets a scratch...so what. Relax Pics soon.

gitarman

posted on 1-7-2010 at 11:02 AM

Glad to hear that your initial impressions are positive... I've got one headed my way today (OUT FOR DELIVERY :dance: )

tonebender
Posting Freak

Mood: Groovy

posted on 1-7-2010 at 11:49 AM

I ordered the GFS Overwound Nashville Retrotron pups today. I'll probably gut it completely and outfit with quality components and wire. I'm stoked about the project and hope it turns out like I think it will. I'll keep you posted.
gitarman

posted on 1-7-2010 at 12:07 PM

HA! That's funny! I have an extra set of those Retrotron Nashville's that I'm considering for this guitar as well! Otherwise, I'm putting in the Deam90/180 combo that I've also got lying around.

gitarman

posted on 1-7-2010 at 07:45 PM

:D

http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4140/4753038671_f455c54de0_z.jpg

Initial impression:

A few minor inconsistencies here and there, but overall well worth the price of admission.

Mine had a ding in the center of the 15th fret that caused some buzzing when I bent the D and G strings more than a 1/2 step. I hit the upper frets with a file, polished them back up, and installed heavier strings = buzz almost gone. There are also a few sloppy spots in the binding, but nothing I can't live with. As evident in the reflection of my pic, the finish is fine. The 'triple-binding' around the fretboard is also a nice touch :bigthumb:

I'm going to have to give the bridge the old 'nail polish' trick to keep the saddles from rattling (a notorious problem with this style of bridge), but the heavier strings MOSTLY took care of that as well.

Obviously, I also decided to go ahead and install the GFS Retro-trons while I had the strings off. They just seemed better-suited to the guitar than the pearl-topped Dreams. I left the stock pots, switch, and wiring for the time being. If/ when it starts to act up, I'll re-do the whole thing from scratch.

[Edited on 2-7-2010 by gitarman]

pigwing76

posted on 2-7-2010 at 06:46 PM

You're really not helping me to NOT purchase one of these :) Looks great! I really like the look of the pickups in that guitar. I may have to pull the trigger next week on a Natural one.

All guitars are Left-Handed!

Electric Guitars:
Carvin CT6M (Deep Tiger's Eye Flame)
Ibanez RG1570L (Mirage Blue)
Schecter Hellraiser C-1 (Black Cherry)
SX SST SE (Black)
SX STL50 (Antique White)
SX Callisto (Gold Top)

Acoustic Guitars:
Takamine EF340C (Natural)

Basses:
Fender American Standard Jazz Bass (3TSB)
Schecter Stiletto Studio-5 (Honey Satin)
Peavey Millenium (Tiger's Eye Quilt)

Amps:
Traynor YCV50BLUE 1x12 Combo
Line 6 Spider III Half Stack
Line 6 LD150
Carvin BX500/BRX10.2NEO

Effects:
Line 6 POD X3
Line 6 Shortboard Controller

faman777

Mood: Ready

posted on 6-7-2010 at 01:28 AM

Sweet lookin fiddle! I'm enjoying my EG5 very much and that EG6 looks even nicer!

I'm still trying to resist getting the EG6 so I can use my EG5 for a backup.

I just have to keep telling myself I don't need another guitar.... I don't need another guitar...

too bad it's not working!

Go To Top

Agile Guitar Forum © 2008
Terms Of Service