AGF Search AGF Chat AGF Uploader AGF Gallery AGFonline Forums AGFonline AGFonline Today's Posts on AGF
Not logged in [Login ]

Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favorites  
Author: Subject: SX Callisto Gold Top Review
pigwing76

posted on 27-1-2010 at 10:59 PM
SX Callisto Gold Top Review

http://i285.photobucket.com/albums/ll46/pigwing76/SX-CALLISTO.gif

So I gave the Callisto a good work out tonight at my rehearsal space. I loved the way this guitar played and sounded for the most part. The neck is nice and fat and felt great in my hand. The fretwork is very nice with no sharp edges anywhere. It stayed in tune surprisingly well. The nut probably could use replacing and the tuners are not very good. Don't get me wrong, they work for the time being but I know I'll be replacing them in the near future. I didn't have any issues with the bridge at all. Seemed very stable. The three way switch worked great with no noise. All knobs worked as they should.
The bridge pickup on this baby ROCKS! It has that classic Les Paul sound. I was having so much fun playing with it. The neck pickup is a different story. It's pretty dull and muddy, only somewhat usable. It sounded okay when in the middle position but not great on its own. I know I will replace the neck p.u. sometime in the future. I can't imagine what a beast this guitar will be like then.
The gold top finish on this guitar is amazing. A super clean, classic look. There's a nice "binding" around the edge of the body. The back of the body and neck also look great. Some very cool wood grain showing through the stain. The pickguard and pickup rings are that ugly peach color and need to be replaced badly. They throw off the look of the whole guitar in my opinion. That's an easy $20 fix, though. The rosewood neck is nice but could use some fingerboard oil to smooth it up a bit. The neck inlays are much nicer than I thought they would be. They are a cool looking "mother-of-pearl" trapezoidal inlay. From the website pics I was expecting just a plain white inlay so it was a nice surprise. Headstock is nice and as much as I don't like the functionality of the tuners I do love the shape of the tuners themselves.
In conclusion, this guitar is amazing for the money I paid for it. I would never have guessed it to be a sub-hundred dollar guitar had I not known it was. It's easily in the same class as a much more expensive Epiphone and with some minor upgrades it could be in the Gibson class. If you're contemplating getting one of these I wouldn't wait any longer. I'm so glad I bought mine, especially at $99 for the gold top model. I'm not sure why this one is $50 cheaper than the others but I would still choose the same color if I had it to do over again. I think it's the nicest color option they have available for the Callisto. If there is anything I missed or other questions don't hesistate to ask. I can probably get up some sound clips if anyone is interested.

Jeremy

I'll get up full reviews of the SX SST SE and STL50 soon.

All guitars are Left-Handed!

Electric Guitars:
Carvin CT6M (Deep Tiger's Eye Flame)
Ibanez RG1570L (Mirage Blue)
Schecter Hellraiser C-1 (Black Cherry)
SX SST SE (Black)
SX STL50 (Antique White)
SX Callisto (Gold Top)

Acoustic Guitars:
Takamine EF340C (Natural)

Basses:
Fender American Standard Jazz Bass (3TSB)
Schecter Stiletto Studio-5 (Honey Satin)
Peavey Millenium (Tiger's Eye Quilt)

Amps:
Traynor YCV50BLUE 1x12 Combo
Line 6 Spider III Half Stack
Line 6 LD150
Carvin BX500/BRX10.2NEO

Effects:
Line 6 POD X3
Line 6 Shortboard Controller

bob_amos
Posting Freak

Mood: Happy, just got 2 guitars in the last 2 weeks.

posted on 27-1-2010 at 11:45 PM

Congrats... So glad you like it. And it's NOT backwards!!! I have a lefty Douglas Shadow Gold. Looks almost a twin to yours. I love mine too. Gold tops are just beautiful... Enjoy yours.

Member of the The Frontmen- Fender Solid State Defenders!
Great people I have dealt with here. ScreamingYellowZonkers.. gilmourjunkie.. Cheeseflavor

Guitars: Fender Tele (custom built from prototype parts at Fender in Corona), St. George (from the 60's), Stella Harmony 12 string (from the 60's), Bass 7 by Egmond (again, from the 60's. Dutch guitar), Victoria accustic (made between 1909 and 1930), Douglas Shadow Gold (deceased), Galveston "RICK" copy 12 string, Cielo Sadona 335, SX Deimos Gold Top, Epiphone Les Paul, Douglas Zeke

Amps:Fender Stage 160 DSP, Fender Frontman 212R, Fender Automatc GT, Fender 25R, Fender 15R, Fender 15 R DSP, Fender 15G, Fender Starcaster 15G, Fender Rumble 15
Accessories:Fender Chorus pedal, Fender Distortion pedal, Fender Flanger pedal, Bahringer Compressor/Sustain pedal, An original Cry Baby pedal, Bahringer Vintage Phaser.

nrussell23
Crazy AGFer

posted on 28-1-2010 at 03:48 AM

thanks for the review jeremy. you just made my mind up for me. i hope mine ends up being as nice as the one you got!

:bigthumb:

Founding Member Of The "Official Agile B-Stock Owners Guild"
My name is Nick and i like things. espically 7 string guitars.
http://www.youtube.com/learntoswim423
http://www.myspace.com/nicksacousticstuff
Some might say, prove to me the Flying Spaghetti Monster exists. I say , prove to me he doesn't .
Geoffrey Charles
Crazy AGFer

posted on 28-1-2010 at 04:28 AM

Congrats and nice review.
EvilTB

posted on 28-1-2010 at 09:58 PM

Pretty sweet, the Callistos and Shadows seem to fall under the shadow of the AL 2000 and don't get the respect they deserve. I think the Epi LP 100 my friend had back in the day had similar specs, so I might get one. I had a "better" Epiphone, I remember enjoying my friend's guitar more for some reason. (The Epiphone I had was probably inferior to an AL 2000 yet it cost $800 Canadian with plastic tuners and "OBL"pickups.)
davjaxn

posted on 26-2-2010 at 09:27 AM

Thanks for the review and your thoughts. It looks beautiful.

I am kicking myself for not grabbing one of these. I no longer see them on the Rondo site. At $99 I am not surprised though! Maybe they will come back... I hope!:uh:
slagg

Mood: I like Rawk

posted on 27-2-2010 at 09:07 PM

I just got one of those,lefty also.Great guitar for$99.00.good setup and a new bridge will make it great.
bassbubble
AGF Contributor

Mood: STRESSED!

posted on 27-2-2010 at 10:24 PM

Goldtop fever just keeps on spreading like wild fire 'round here.

Sweet guitar.

ELECTRICS:============================================================
AL-2000 GT / SX SJM-62 PBU ST / Douglas SH-90NA / Squier Standard Tele / Squier Bullet Strat / Gibson LP Standard /
Squier (MIJ) HSS Strat / First Act ME-501 / Douglas WT-445 BK / Squier Jagmaster / Epiphone Wilshire / Epiphone G400 SG /

BASSES:============================================================
Fender Special P-Bass / Fender Standard Jazz Bass / Schecter Model-T / Brice AL SS Bass CSB B Stock / SX Ursa 4 RN B Stock /
SX SJB-62C Jazz Bass / Squire Vintage Modified Fretless J-Bass / Epiphone Ripper / Rogue Violin Bass / Douglas WEB 825 5 string /

ACOUSTICS:============================================================
SX Mentor NA / Yamaha FG** Series / Martin D12X1 (12 String) / Franciscan / Dean EAB Bass /
SX 6-String Banjo / Fender Mandolin /

AMPS:============================================================
Peavy Classic 50/212 / Epiphone Valve Jr Combo / Fender Champion 600 / Ashdown Electric Blue 15-180 Bass Combo /
Hartke 3500 Head w/ 115TP & 210TP Cabs /

=====================================================================
Great deals with:============================================================
Rick In Pa. / Flatline / Benny / Perfect Stranger / TWANG / blueshawk1 / cheeseflavor / keeffan / tbe275 / Wylde /
bob_amos
Posting Freak

Mood: Happy, just got 2 guitars in the last 2 weeks.

posted on 27-2-2010 at 10:28 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by bassbubble

Sweet guitar.

I certainly can undershand why. They are absolutely beautiful. I loved mine and will defenately be replacing it with another gold top.

Member of the The Frontmen- Fender Solid State Defenders!
Great people I have dealt with here. ScreamingYellowZonkers.. gilmourjunkie.. Cheeseflavor

Guitars: Fender Tele (custom built from prototype parts at Fender in Corona), St. George (from the 60's), Stella Harmony 12 string (from the 60's), Bass 7 by Egmond (again, from the 60's. Dutch guitar), Victoria accustic (made between 1909 and 1930), Douglas Shadow Gold (deceased), Galveston "RICK" copy 12 string, Cielo Sadona 335, SX Deimos Gold Top, Epiphone Les Paul, Douglas Zeke

Amps:Fender Stage 160 DSP, Fender Frontman 212R, Fender Automatc GT, Fender 25R, Fender 15R, Fender 15 R DSP, Fender 15G, Fender Starcaster 15G, Fender Rumble 15
Accessories:Fender Chorus pedal, Fender Distortion pedal, Fender Flanger pedal, Bahringer Compressor/Sustain pedal, An original Cry Baby pedal, Bahringer Vintage Phaser.

Dennis
Posting Freak

Mood: Minor Blues

posted on 27-2-2010 at 10:44 PM

Th GT is a classic and I don't blame anyone for wanting to own and play a piece of guitar history.
Congrats :dance:

SkaJon
Super Freak

Mood: Ska! ska! ska! The father of Rocksteady, grandfather of Reggae music.

posted on 27-2-2010 at 11:32 PM

Dude that guitar looks awesome! I don't know about everyone else but I do enjoy bolt on necks

"Stay Free" -Mick Jones (The Clash)
Guitars:
1. Fender MIM Telecaster 2. SX GG1 Jr 3. Squier Classic Vibe Duo Sonic 4. Epiphone Les Paul Junior Special 5. Dillion Canada DXC 58 (Double Cut Les Paul Junior) 6. Fender Joe Strummer Telecaster 7. SX Furrian MN HH TBR
Bass: Korean Squier Jazz Bass
Amps:
Vox DA15, Fender FM 212R
Good Deals with: BluesHawk1, Perfect Stranger, Screaming Yellow Zonkers and Tattooed Indian, Cheeseflavor
Member of the The Frontmen- Fender Solid State Defenders! Now recruiting. Join today!
bassbubble
AGF Contributor

Mood: STRESSED!

posted on 27-2-2010 at 11:41 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by bob_amos
Quote:
Originally posted by bassbubble

Sweet guitar.

I certainly can undershand why. They are absolutely beautiful. I loved mine and will defenately be replacing it with another gold top.

I remember seeing one when I was a kid. My Father used to rent out our barn to
his friends kids band. One of the guitarist had one. I knew then I must have one. LOL.
My first and only Agile is a goldtop. They are by far my favorite finish. It seems like a lot
folks are falling in love with them too. Like you said, "They are absolutely beautiful".

ELECTRICS:============================================================
AL-2000 GT / SX SJM-62 PBU ST / Douglas SH-90NA / Squier Standard Tele / Squier Bullet Strat / Gibson LP Standard /
Squier (MIJ) HSS Strat / First Act ME-501 / Douglas WT-445 BK / Squier Jagmaster / Epiphone Wilshire / Epiphone G400 SG /

BASSES:============================================================
Fender Special P-Bass / Fender Standard Jazz Bass / Schecter Model-T / Brice AL SS Bass CSB B Stock / SX Ursa 4 RN B Stock /
SX SJB-62C Jazz Bass / Squire Vintage Modified Fretless J-Bass / Epiphone Ripper / Rogue Violin Bass / Douglas WEB 825 5 string /

ACOUSTICS:============================================================
SX Mentor NA / Yamaha FG** Series / Martin D12X1 (12 String) / Franciscan / Dean EAB Bass /
SX 6-String Banjo / Fender Mandolin /

AMPS:============================================================
Peavy Classic 50/212 / Epiphone Valve Jr Combo / Fender Champion 600 / Ashdown Electric Blue 15-180 Bass Combo /
Hartke 3500 Head w/ 115TP & 210TP Cabs /

=====================================================================
Great deals with:============================================================
Rick In Pa. / Flatline / Benny / Perfect Stranger / TWANG / blueshawk1 / cheeseflavor / keeffan / tbe275 / Wylde /
Blooz1
Posting Freak

posted on 27-2-2010 at 11:58 PM

One of my best friends had one, and used to lend it to me when my LP was in the shop. People always thought it was hot, more so than when I used my LP Custom! (Which kinda t'd me off..)

Agile Dauntless SBD Rootbeer
SX-SST LTD2
SX -SST57 3/4 VW

Vox amPlug AC-30
Toneport D.I. w/Gold Bundle + Podfarm
Traynor TS-15

http://img25.imageshack.us/img25/8998/radioagf.jpg
jcwillow777
Super Freak

posted on 28-2-2010 at 12:03 AM

Nice GT - congrats!
davjaxn

posted on 2-3-2010 at 11:16 AM

Too bad I missed this one! A $99 Gold Top is amazing. I emailed Kurt and these look to be gone for good.:(
uglyvw
Posting Freak

posted on 2-3-2010 at 11:25 AM

I have guitars with some amazing finishes, vintage burst, flamed cherry burst, fendery vintage green, but I always get more comments on my goldie for some reason. Congrats, it sure is a looker.
nrussell23
Crazy AGFer

posted on 2-3-2010 at 11:42 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by davjaxn
Too bad I missed this one! A $99 Gold Top is amazing. I emailed Kurt and these look to be gone for good.:(

you must have emailed a different Kurt. there is currently 9 of them in stock as of 11:42am

Product: SX Callisto Gold Left Handed
In stock: 9

Founding Member Of The "Official Agile B-Stock Owners Guild"
My name is Nick and i like things. espically 7 string guitars.
http://www.youtube.com/learntoswim423
http://www.myspace.com/nicksacousticstuff
Some might say, prove to me the Flying Spaghetti Monster exists. I say , prove to me he doesn't .
CaTiRo

posted on 2-3-2010 at 01:43 PM

they are out of the right handed ones

Guitar Newbie!!! Learning one day at a time .....

Sigma DM18
SX STL50 3TS Sunburst
SX SST57 Vintage White
Douglas Peragro Black
Fender Champion 110
Line6 Spider III

diffra
Super Freak

posted on 2-3-2010 at 01:49 PM

Dude, I'm sorry to hear that they made your guitar backwards. I hate it when that happens. I fixed it for you though, to see what it might look like:

http://o.imm.io/7wP.jpg

[Edited on 2010-3-2 by diffra]

Guitars: 2009 AL-2000 Blue Flame | 2008 AL-3000 Wine Red(Sold) | First Act ME4002 | Yamaha G-231 II Classical
Other Gear: Fender Blues Jr, Jekyll & Hyde, other misc pedals.
Good deals with: gilmourjunkie | I Hate Righties | TWANG | Tritone | Perfect Stranger| slagg | DerDrache | ScreamingYellowZonkers | Ziger824
Diffra's SoundCloud
You're judging the masses on a select group of lead paint chip eaters. - SYZ
CaTiRo

posted on 2-3-2010 at 01:58 PM

i'm kicking myself for not getting a right handed one.

Guitar Newbie!!! Learning one day at a time .....

Sigma DM18
SX STL50 3TS Sunburst
SX SST57 Vintage White
Douglas Peragro Black
Fender Champion 110
Line6 Spider III

davjaxn

posted on 2-3-2010 at 11:37 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by nrussell23
Quote:
Originally posted by davjaxn

you must have emailed a different Kurt. there is currently 9 of them in stock as of 11:42am

Product: SX Callisto Gold Left Handed
In stock: 9

I should clarify. I was talking about the $99 righty. Those are indeed out of stock and are not coming back.
correawi

posted on 2-3-2010 at 11:46 PM

id like to see a lefty goldtop by Agile in the Al-3000 trim package with the nice headstock, pups, and an optional scratchplate, by optional i mean , don't install it , and just send it with the guitar, so you can drill it in if you want. As usual lefty's have to settle for what we can get though. Good review.

I am gonna start working on a review of my AL-3100 Tiger Eye , I just changed all my guitars over to 11-49 gauge, and the Tiger Eye is just AWESOME, I play it and my Gibby SG Standard about the same now. Its that good. took the scratchplate of the AL , just hate the holes.

slagg

Mood: I like Rawk

posted on 10-3-2010 at 08:19 AM

Mine=KILLER GUITAR

[Edited on 10-3-2010 by slagg]

slagg has attached this image:
2.jpg - 22.12kb

Frankenstrat>heavy modded SX callisto>89'MIJ strat 68 reissue>5E3 6L6/EL34 homebrew>Mesa Transatlantic TA-15>Randall 212 radial-headbone-vt head switcher
"it rubs the lotion on it's skin or else it get's the hose again"
Yes another "lefty"that's right
  Go To Top

Agile Guitar Forum © 2008
Terms Of Service