AGF Search AGF Chat AGF Uploader AGF Gallery AGFonline Forums AGFonline AGFonline Today's Posts on AGF
Not logged in [Login ]

Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favorites  
Author: Subject: Is this wiring Possible. HH 1V - 1T 5Way
GuitarKidd

posted on 11-2-2009 at 09:59 PM
Is this wiring Possible. HH 1V - 1T 5Way

Ok. Going to wire up a Dual Humbucker pickguard. I have two pickups. All they have are the ground and the hot cable for both. No Coil tapping. Basically these are out of a Al2000.

The tricky part is I have a 5 way standard strat switch, 1 vol and 1 Tone.

I can't find a wiring diagram to save my life.

Not even sure if it can or should be done with a 5 way. If not I will order a 3 way switch. Anyways, can anyone point me in the right direction.

http://i543.photobucket.com/albums/gg460/Guitarkidd94/sigzakkwylde.jpg

tattooedindian

posted on 11-2-2009 at 10:05 PM

Go to Seymour Duncan website http://www.seymourduncan.com/images/support/schematics/2hum_1vol_1tone_super5...

Guitars:
Mid 80's Samick Strat
AD-2000 w/ JB/Jazz Combo
Palmer Strat copy

AMPs:
Line 6 Spider III 30 watt
Roland Cube 30x

Effects:
Boss Metalzone w/ indyguitarist mod
E-H Metal Muff
Digitech GNX 4
GuitarKidd

posted on 11-2-2009 at 10:13 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by tattooedindian
Go to Seymour Duncan website http://www.seymourduncan.com/images/support/schematics/2hum_1vol_1tone_super5...

Been there and looked at that... That doesn't make much sense with what I have.

2 humbuckers, with a hot and ground each. And a 5 way fender strat switch. That switch is nothing close to what I have. Plus each pickup has 5 cables coming out of it..

rbwalter

posted on 11-2-2009 at 10:43 PM

If each pickup has 5 wires, then they have a coil tap. You can certainly use a standard 5 way switch, but you may have to come up with your diagram.
strumbum
Super Freak

Mood: Picky

posted on 11-2-2009 at 10:53 PM

You should be able to bypass positions 2 & 4 on the 5-way switch, which would give you the same effect as a 3-way switch. SD's site should have a diagram for 2-hums, 1-vol & 1-tone (without the 5-way switch)...

"Founding Member of the Agile Guitar Owners Guild"

snarph
Crazy AGFer

Mood: Above Ground

posted on 11-2-2009 at 10:56 PM

If your not doing any splitting or taping why not just use a 3way

Psalm 118:24 This is the day the LORD has made; let us rejoice and be glad in it.

Member of the geriatric prune posy

GuitarKidd

posted on 11-2-2009 at 11:25 PM

I don't have a 3 way. So I thought maybe a 5 way could work.

THe pickups are out of a Al2000. They have 2 wires. The hot wire and the ground wire (already stated), they are not capable of being coil tapped.

Nothing that seymour duncan has on their website shows what I am looking for. There should be a way to do it.

If there isn't then I will just order a 3 way, but even on semours site doesn't show a wiring diagram for the same type of 3 way switch that I would need.

Here is the closest thing I can find, but it is for 2 single coils, which probably wiring aren't any different.

http://www.seymourduncan.com/support/wiring-diagrams/schematics.php?schematic...

damian
Posting Freak

Mood: agitated comatose

posted on 11-2-2009 at 11:28 PM

I can't stand this any longer. Why do you have to make it so hard ?

You have 3 options.

First option, buy a fender 3 way slide switch and substitute it.

http://www.seymourduncan.com/support/wiring-diagrams/schematics.php?schematic...

If you pretend your humbuckers are single coils you can wire them like this leaving out the bridge pickup, either neck or bridge. If you leave out the middle pickup you won't get a neck and bridge position.

You also need to consider if you want your middle position to be series like a les paul or parrallel like gretch (?). Anyway that should get you started. This scheme will give you a dead position by the way, all pickups off... If you play with the options you might get another interesting combo in there but you'll have to map the switch and think about the possibilities. I can't remember exactly how a fender 5 way makes contact.

Edit: the diagram you just posted will work fine with a 3 way. Not sure about a 5 way, but the 2 wire humbuckers are functionally equivalent to single coils as far as wiring goes, so anything you find for single coils will work. You can also swap hot and earth provided earth is floating, ie not touching any other conductors in the circuit.

[Edited on 12-2-2009 by damian]

Any more relaxed and I'd be dead.

Member of the Official Agile B-Stock Owners Guild
drawbars

Mood: I'm 40% better now -- thanks for askin'!

posted on 11-2-2009 at 11:57 PM

Another possibility is a Fender Super Switch. This 5-way can do just about anything you like, as it has four separate switches in a SP5T setup.

On my Tele, it looks like this:

Bridge = Tele bridge
Mid = Tele neck, moved back a bit
Neck = P-90

1 - Bridge pup
2 - Bridge + Mid in series (faux HB)
3 - Bridge + Mid in parallel
4 - Bridge + Neck in parallel
5 - Neck pup

-BW
bruce@ashbysolutions.com
----------
Keys: Korg BX-3, Access Virus TI KB, Nord Electro 3, V-Machine w/SampleTank XL
Guitars: Agile Harm 1 FG, Agile Harm 3/12 LPB, Agile Harm 1 Ash, BC Rich Mockingbird CSB Quilt, Schecter Ultra III, Dean '79 Z BrB, Dean '79 ML BB
Amps: Vox AC30ST, Vox AC4TVH + Lopo 1-12, LowBoy From Hell™ 550W Leslie, V-Machine w/AmpliTube 2, NEO Ventilator
WAY too much friggin' PA ...
GuitarKidd

posted on 11-2-2009 at 11:58 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by damian

You have 3 options.

If you pretend your humbuckers are single coils you can wire them like this leaving out the bridge pickup, either neck or bridge. If you leave out the middle pickup you won't get a neck and bridge position.

You also need to consider if you want your middle position to be series like a les paul or parrallel like gretch (?). Anyway that should get you started. This scheme will give you a dead position by the way, all pickups off... If you play with the options you might get another interesting combo in there but you'll have to map the switch and think about the possibilities. I can't remember exactly how a fender 5 way makes contact.

Edit: the diagram you just posted will work fine with a 3 way. Not sure about a 5 way, but the 2 wire humbuckers are functionally equivalent to single coils as far as wiring goes, so anything you find for single coils will work. You can also swap hot and earth provided earth is floating, ie not touching any other conductors in the circuit.

Don't mean to make anything difficult. In the almost 6 years I have been playing I haven't needed to wire or really fix anything when it comes to wiring.

Also, the switch diagram doesn't match up. The connectors on a 3 way or 5 way are in a row, however the diagram has them offset. I am assuming that even though they are offeset, they should still be technically "in a row". I'm asking these questions, because I honestly don't know.

Memphs202

posted on 12-2-2009 at 12:44 AM

im lost when it comes to wiring too man.. then to put a 5 way switch in the middle?? lol sorry bud im with you on this one it all sounds soo easy but when it comes to reading a diagram shit i might as well be in 1st grade NO CLUE!!!!!!!!! ohno:

Had 2 Agiles Sold em both
Had USA Strat Sold it...
Had 4 Epiphone's Sold em all but one ( first Les Paul )
'05 Gibson Standard Rootbeer
'08 Gibson Les Paul Studio Classic White
'04 Gibson Melody Maker Les Paul ( P90 with TOM and Stop tail )
Crate Vintage Club 50 2x12 ( black )
damian
Posting Freak

Mood: agitated comatose

posted on 12-2-2009 at 12:57 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by GuitarKidd

Don't mean to make anything difficult. In the almost 6 years I have been playing I haven't needed to wire or really fix anything when it comes to wiring.

Also, the switch diagram doesn't match up. The connectors on a 3 way or 5 way are in a row, however the diagram has them offset. I am assuming that even though they are offeset, they should still be technically "in a row". I'm asking these questions, because I honestly don't know.

I wasn't referring to you, I was referring to the people who didn't read your origional post properly, and those who didn't answer your question.

It is never a crime not to know, or I'd be put away for life. :)

Any more relaxed and I'd be dead.

Member of the Official Agile B-Stock Owners Guild
ultralight23k
Super Freak

Mood: ....pissin' in the wind....

posted on 12-2-2009 at 06:58 AM

Go to this link, half way down you'll see the conversion between a 5 way side by side post, as typical on a fender 5 way, and a import style inline post 5 way. Also just below that is the position slections for the 5 way. i would save the 2 pictures (onlyt the pics, not the page) to your for futrue reference. Go to this page for 5 way conversion schem.

'06 Fender Baja Telecaster
'85 Fender MIJ Telecaster
Hohner Ebony AE
Fender Champ 25 se (dual 6l6)
Kustom Defender 5H "Twang'd"

Good dealins w/: ....many good folks here!

"His Music struck a Chord that continues to resonate.
His Blues addressed Generations he would never know and made Poetry of his Visions and Fears."
- From Robert Johnsons gravestone, Morgan City, Mississippi
GuitarKidd

posted on 12-2-2009 at 11:26 AM

Quote:
Quote:
Originally posted by GuitarKidd

I wasn't referring to you, I was referring to the people who didn't read your origional post properly, and those who didn't answer your question.

It is never a crime not to know, or I'd be put away for life. :)

I talk to dealers all day long. And I can tell them one thing, for some reason, I think my phone translates what I say into pig latin or something completely different because they will respond to me as if they have no clue as to what I just said.

Thanks for the help everyone, and the conversion chart is a big help as well.. Didn't know there was a difference between import switches and what fender uses. I was looking through all these diagrams going... What the heck, no one has the type of switch I have..
Geez..

GuitarKidd

posted on 12-2-2009 at 12:02 PM

Quote:

You have 3 options.

I also meant to ask, what is the difference with Series and Parallel sound wise? And how is that wired differently...
Thanks

drawbars

posted on 12-2-2009 at 09:57 PM

The sound is a lot different. Series HB coils sound thicker and stronger. That's the classic Gibson sound that 95% of all HB guitars provide. The coils in parallel sound more open and single-coil like, at least to me. There are very few stock guitars with parallel coils, mostly Gretsch and some rockabilly models from a few others.

Wiring for a series HB --

Coil 1+ --> Volume pot
Coil 1- --> Coil 2+
Coil 2- --> Ground

Single-coil operation involves shorting one of the coils, usually Coil 2+ to ground. This can be done with a switch, or using the tone control, if wired properly.

Wiring for a parallel HB --

Coil 1+ --> Coil 2+ --> Volume pot
Coil 1- --> Coil 2- --> Ground

It's basically like a pair of single-coil pups, electrically. To change to single-coil operation, one of the coils' (+) side needs to be disconnected with a switch.

-BW
bruce@ashbysolutions.com
----------
Guitars: Agile Harm 1 FG, Agile Harm 3/12 LPB, Agile Harm 1 Ash, BC Rich Mockingbird CSB Quilt, Schecter Ultra III, Dean '79 Z BrB, Dean '79 ML BB
Amps: Vox AC30ST, Vox AC4TVH + Lopo 1-12, LowBoy From Hell™ 550W Leslie, V-Machine w/AmpliTube 2, NEO Ventilator
TheJerk
Super Freak

Mood: Tweed Deluxe

posted on 12-2-2009 at 10:56 PM

Yeah, but he can't do series/parallel for each bucker with only 2 leads on the pups...

[Edited on 13-2-2009 by TheJerk]

These machines kills fascists:
{ 2008 AL3000M HSB Plain Top }-{ 2001 Taylor 310KCE "Legends" }-{ 2009 Fender Standard Telecaster }-{ 2009 Squier Classic Vibe Duo-Sonic }
{ 2009 SX SST PBU }-{ Fender Super Champ XD }-{ Roland KC500 }-{Mission 5e3 Tweedy Deluxe}

Good deals with: Snarph - Ultralight23k - Blink - TWANG
drawbars

posted on 13-2-2009 at 07:21 AM

Oops, my bad ... came into this thing about halfway, and missed that in my earlier read. :uh:

If you only have two HBs with 2 wires each, a 5-way switch is going to be WAY more hassle than it's worth, IMHO. I'd go with a standard 3-way switch and be done with it.

-BW
bruce@ashbysolutions.com
----------

Go To Top

Agile Guitar Forum © 2008
Terms Of Service